These are the first pictures of Van Heyningen and Haward's (VHH's) competition-winning extension to Giles Gilbert Scott's Grade II-listed Memorial Court at Clare College, Cambridge. The £6 million project, which was selected ahead of schemes by Allies & Morrison and Tim Ronalds Architects, will effectively complete the unfinished court masterplan. Sitting on a former car and cycle park in the largely undeveloped north-west corner of the site, the proposed study and conference centre will house a new lecture theatre, seminar rooms and 34 student bedrooms. The existing college blocks, which are overlooked by Gilbert Scott's University Library, were built over a 62-year period. The first buildings went up in 1924 and the last, Arup Associates' Forbes-Mellon Library at the centre of the college, was completed in 1986. Submitted for planning earlier this week, the VHH project will open up new passageways from the north into the main court area. Work is expected to start on site in May next year.