An architect whose working life started in 1925, John Brandon-Jones was, according to one's position, an anachronistic survivor from the pre- war world, a defender of Tradition against Modernsim, or an expert on Philip Webb, W R Lethaby and C F A Voysey, whose reputations he helped to recover from obscurity. His architecture was based primarily on good construction, and, like those late Victorians he admired, only lightly inflected by specific historical styles. Brandon-Jones's best-known work, the Hants County Offices at Winchester, 1959, deleted the Classicisim of an earlier scheme and replaced it with a North European character of regularly spaced casement windows in fine red brick and steep tiled roofs. Council offices at Brentwood and Staines were built by his practice - Brandon-Jones, Ashton and Broadbent - in the same rationalised vernacular. They were so unfashionable that no magazines have ever illustrated them and the Royal Fine Art Commission tried to dissuade Staines from building a design which in 1960 they claimed (quite erroneously) was 'in the style of eighty or ninety years ago'.
Brandon-Jones was president of the aa, where he was both a student and a teacher, in 1957 and Master of the Art Workers Guild in 1967. He was a member of the Historic Buildings Council and the vice-president of the Victorian Society. Until very recently he was a frequent lecturer, usually on Webb or Voysey. He listed his interests as architectural education (he also taught at Liverpool 1937-39), sailing and toy-making.