Over a century of architectural publishing
AJ Publications is a new episode in a long publishing history. The AJ was launched as the Builder’s Journal in 1895, shortly changing its name to the Architects’ Journal. In 1896 it was joined by the launch of its sister magazine, the Architectural Review. The two titles soon established their reputation as the profession’s foremost journals, noted for their indispensable criticism, news and technical information.
The AJ and AR have been home to some of the most significant architectural critics of the twentieth century - including Nikolaus Pevsner, Reyner Banham, Ian Nairn, John Betjeman, Joseph Rykwert - a tradition continued by the two titles to the present day.
Throughout the twentieth century and into the twentyfirst the two magazines have complemented their monthly and weekly with a series of books, technical manuals and monographs - many published under the Architectural Press imprint, the name of the magazine’s owners til 1986 - including Reyner Banham’s The New Brutalism, Gordon Cullen’s Townscapes and the Working Details series. AJ Editions continues in this tradition.