AJ100 Building of the year - 2013
Winner: John McAslan + Partners for King’s Cross Station, London - This award is in recognition of the finest building completed by an AJ100-listed practice during the past year
The jury considered that the Building of the Year award should reward architects that had delivered a complex project without losing site of the architectural detailing, and that the winner should represent the best work of the AJ100.
While the judges were struck by Wilkinson Eyre’s ‘Kew Gardens on Speed’ - Gardens by the Bay in Singapore - as well as having admiration for the controlled design and flawless execution of Hopkins Architects’ Macmillan Cancer Care Centre, in the end they unanimously felt that King’s Cross Station, with its exciting mix of old and new, complexity and detail, care and attention, would most stand the test of time.
The judges described it as ‘inspirational’ - a forward-thinking project with respect for the past.
- Allford Hall Monaghan Morris for North London Hospice
- BDP for Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham
- Glenn Howells Architects for Bramall Music Building, University of Birmingham
- Hopkins Architects for Macmillan Cancer Centre, University College London Hospitals
- John McAslan + Partners for King’s Cross Station, London
- Penoyre & Prasad for the Sir Ludwig Guttmann Health & Wellbeing Centre, London
- Populous for the 2012 Olympic Stadium, London
- Wilkinson Eyre for Cooled Conservatories, Gardens by the Bay, Singapore
David Hills, director, DSDHA
Hanif Kara, design director & co-founder, AKT II
Crispin Kelly, director, Baylight
Felix Mara, technical editor, The AJ
Christine Murray, editor, The AJ
Rory Olcayto, deputy editor, The AJ