Ian MartinOne man's journey into architecture, with fellow travellers Dusty Penhaligon, architecture critic Darcy Farquear'say, RIPBA president Dame Helen Button, magic arborealist Isis de Cambray and HRH Prince Charles
Ian Martin columns
Ian Martin is in the market for any golf course-related public inquiry work
Ian Martin submits his Doctor Who interiors
Ian Martin accidentally designs a sports stadium that looks like a vagina
Ian Martin is averaging four and a half stars on RateYourCurator.com
Ian Martin presents his latest gift to the world: the invisible bedroom
Ian Martin appears in the Court of Environmental Justice
Ian Martin proposes a titanium ziggurat to replace Buckingham Palace
Ian Martin meets resistance to his energy efficiency ideas
Ian Martin’s ‘ambient urbipad’ wins Sick Crib of the Year
Ian Martin sketches out his Blueprint for Britain 2050
Ian Martin wins tacit approval for his Reboot of the Seven Kingdoms masterplan
Ian Martin is hired as consultant at large without portfolio by the Skateboarding Alliance
Ian Martin’s iconic tower gets a new nickname
Ian Martin pitches to makeover Pompeii
Ian Martin oversees the destruction of Chartist mural
Ian Martin designs a straight bobsleigh track for the Winter Olympics in Russia
Ian Martin reviews London’s best student shows
Ian Martin redesigns the world
Ian Martin redesigns the world
Ian Martin catches the value train and gets a table seat next to the window
Ian Martin announces this year’s Beige Building Award winners
Ian Martin gets sued up to the gallbladder by speccy chancers in buttoned, tieless shirts
Ian Martin formulates guidelines for the arts community
Ian Martin creates a prototype idealised model of collectivised open-plan space
Ian Martin curates this year’s Tamworth Popupalooza
I’m 58 years old and standing on a chair…I love a crowd when I don’t know many people. It’s more exciting.
1. Sceptical frown in beanie. 2. Quizzical pout in hard hat. 3. Chuckling at timetable. 4. Conspiratorial whispering in deserted Italian kitchen. 5. Facial paralysis after saying 'gosh'. 6. Squinting at recalcitrant German roof. 7. Caressing seasoned oak beam with faraway gaze. 8. Shimmy of head as 'spontaneous thought' occurs. 9. Sighing, forgetting to breathe in again, passing out. 10. Asking 'but will it...work?' then getting hit in face ...
1. Igloos melting to a poignant soundtrack.2. Menacing Russian cartoon featuring dancing skyscrapers.3. Armed charrette at University of Pennsylvania.4. Wind turbines apparently chatting to each other in Swedish.5. Original World Trade Center under reconstruction in Second Life.6. Man being eaten by interactive carpet.7. Freak weather battering the Scottish coast, then deep-frying it.8. Homeless people dancing for soup in Poundbury.9. Frank Gehry ...
1. The Graphito by Banksy & Banksy.2. Stubby Lines' Doodlebug Pro.3. Suzuki left-handed mechanical in B Minor.4. The Böring Seminar Bullet Point.5. Zaha Stiletto Space Probe 3000.6. Fair Trade natural unpainted cedar pencil with pretend carbon.7. The 2B Hamlet Soliloquy.8. The Blairwrite Memo with sneery, retractable point.9. Tarantino HB 5mm with smooth-barelled fixed eraser and ass-cap popper.10. Wooden stylus dipped in own blood.
1. Clinically Depressed Gothic.2. Defibrillated Constructivism.3. Neo-Semi-Classical.4. High Definition Plasmic Blobulism.5. Retrohyperventilated Freestyle.6. Arts and Crafts and Photoshop.7. Decarbonised Metabolism.8. Fucking Enormous.9. Evangelical Pointyism.10. Butch Colonial
1. Rain-harvesting sombrero.2. The BlackBeret Highbrowser.3. Visor in form of miniature concrete brise-soleil.4. False turban containing 50 Gigabytes of extra memory.5. The Shigeru Ban emergency cardboard cocktail hat.6. Photovoltaic yarmulke.7. Tricorne made from locally-sourced Observer Business & Media section.8. Adobe mudflat deerstalker, with mudflaps.9. The Frank Gehry Biretta 2.0 - 'Designed by computers, irritated with style'.10. ...
1. Garden wormery modelled on the Unité d'Habitation.2. Bamboo-framed 'intelligent' spectacles.3. Weekend minimalist cottage with climate-healing properties.4. Trevor Baylis wind-up slide projector.5. A smirking eco-blog called something like Environmentality, chronicling your whimsical journey through a dictionary of quotations.6. Hydrogen-powered bicycle with unisex handlebars.7. Misconceived concept drawings composter.8. A Brazilian foster-sapling ...
1. CO3. A volatile gas produced by filtering 'carbon dioxide issues' through a windbag.2. Alchitect. A blurred visionary.3. Afforwardable. Type of low-cost housing that is conceived in situ, then permanently deferred.4. 'McCloud'. A forceful sigh, exhaled before conceding that something might just work.5. Platitudinum. Recycled material used as a covering for cultural landmarks.6. ...