RIBA Competition: Hereford Buttermarket regeneration
Herefordshire council seek architects for the regeneration of Hereford’s historic Buttermarket
The RIBA Competitions Office has been appointed to run a two-stage competition for the re-development and regeneration of Hereford’s Buttermarket. The competition will be organised on behalf of Herefordshire Council in partnership with Advantage West Midlands.
The Buttermarket was originally opened in 1860, and was once devoted entirely to the sale of butter, cheese and other dairy products.The building has an ornate clock tower and is a grade II listed building. Today the Market Hall, still referred to as the Buttermarket, houses over 70 stalls.
Open to architects, the competition will ask entrants to come up with design ideas for the interior of the market, and to think about how it can be improved and enhanced to help it thrive and survive in a highly competitive sector. A key challenge to entrants will be to test out how cutting edge and innovative design can support and promote the regeneration of a place and its surrounding environments.
Organised site visit: 21st April
Registration deadline: 19th May
Submission deadline: 20th May
Stage 1 judging: w/c 24th May
Stage 2 notified: w/c 31st May
Stage 2 submissions: w/c 28th June
Public consultation: 30 June – 13 July
Final judging: w/c 19th July
Winner announced: w/c 19th July onwards
Client contact details:
RIBA Competitions Office
6 Melbourne Street
Tel: 0113 2341335
Fax: 0113 2460744
The building should:
- Be innovative, exciting and challenge previous interpretations of covered markets but must respect the Victorian heritage of the market;
- Increase the footfall within the Market and enhance the retail environment.
- Provide a focus for the community which promotes the inclusion of all members of the community in the activities of the Market;
- Provide for the minimum accommodation requirements listed in Section 2.5;
- Allow for space to be multi-functional and flexible wherever possible;
- Be of an appropriate design/scale to enhance the character of Hereford City centre;
- Exploit the connectivity between High Town and the ESG development area and attract footfall between the two;
- Connect with the proposals as set out in the city centre regeneration plans and bring added value to the surroundings;
- Embrace current developments and practice in sustainable development, energy efficiency and material recycling. Design to meet BREEAMExcellent as a minimum or equivalent;
- Ensure that the design provides for a long-term sustainable future and provides simple solutions for building maintenance and support;
- Provide a Demonstration Area for exhibitions and presentations by the local food industry and general community;
- Actively encourage an ‘Evening Economy’ by incorporating other commercial uses;
- Consider phasing opportunities and demonstrate how trade may be permitted to continue during redevelopment.
The competition is open to architect-led multi-disciplinary design teams and will take the form of a two stage process organised as follows:
Stage 1 : Submission of concept designs which will be assessed anonymously
Stage 2 : A shortlist will be drawn up and the listed design teams invited to Stage 2. Stage 2 will involve further exploration and refinement of Stage 1 design ideas. Anonymity will be lifted and shortlisted teams will be invited to attend an interview and make a presentation to the Jury Panel.