New Civic Centre competition, Miami
ARQUITECTUM invites the world’s architects to participate in an International architecture competition to design a new civic centre for Miami
• The project is for the creation of an urban centre for the city at a strategic location, giving an open space where large groups of people may congregate.
• The development should achieve a language and organisation that relates to Miami’s identity and lifestyle, which will direct the citizens to a future developed downtown.
• The addition of housing, business and public buildings should improve the existing area’s use, so its touring will become an interesting target and necessary visit for Miami’s visitors and inhabitants.
• Shared use of activities during the day and night should ensure the constant occupation of the area, improving its security.
• The urban centre shall occupy no more than a 115,000 sqm area. The project will be located on a determined perimeter at Bayside Park (available in the attached site plan).
City Hall: 15,000sqm
Miami Cathedral: 10,000sqm
Architecture Museum: 5,000sqm
Luxury housing: 24,000sqm
Youth Housing: 5,000sqm
The presentation technique is absolutely open and at the discretion of the project designer. However, the inclusion within the image of the following information is recommended:
• Main concept of the project
• Plot plan
• Interior space perspective
• Elementary volumetric design
• 3D view, integrated with the context
The presentation should clearly document the proposal as well as the approach to the project. Ideas regarding organisation, materials, treatment of the location as well as the design should be included when considered relevant.
For further details see the attached competition brief.
Start of competition: January 15th, 2010
Queries submission deadline: February 16th, 2010
Registration deadline: April 14th, 2010
Proposal submission deadline: April 21st, 2010
Jury evaluation: April 23rd - May 7th, 2010
Winners announced: May 10th, 2010
Prize giving ceremony in Miami: June, 2010
• US $ 3,000 (three thousand US dollars).
• Airfare to Miami for two, to attend the prize-giving ceremony and the winning proposals exhibition, within the AIA Convention, to take place between June 10th to 12th, 2010.
• Hotel accommodation for two in Miami, for three nights (June 10th, 11th and 12th, 2010).
• US $ 2,000 (two thousand US dollars)
• US $ 1,000 (one thousand US dollars).
Participants can register their interest at www.arquitectum.com.