Bristol Royal Infirmary, by Charles Holden (1912)
[From the AJ Buildings Library archives] See images, drawings and data for a hospital extension finished 100 years ago and still in use today
The Bristol Infirmary required an extension, having outgrown it Marlborough Hill building. The project’s brief prioritised the necessity to make the building well lit, well ventilated, well organised, and hygienically constructed in every part.
The extension - which provided extra wards, an operating theatre and casualty department - was built on the opposite side of the road, on a sloping site. It’s ground plan is a basic U shape, with the wards filling the arms and circulation spaces in the centre, as well as further wards.